After this mornings bootcamp workout at Industrial Strength Personal Training I decided my body was in need of a good protein recovery drink. I had recently seen the Power Protein Smoothie recipe posted from my favorite nutritionist Kimberly Snyder and decided to adapt the recipe and give it a try.
The Power Protein Smoothie is filling and is a great way to replenish the bodies amino acids post workout. I am excited to share this recipe because of it’s many “power” ingredients. I recently started using Chia Seeds in most all of my smoothie recipes. If you aren’t familiar with Chia Seeds, they are the richest plant based source of Omega 3, dietary fiber, protein and antioxidants. Also used in this recipe is cinnamon which has been known for improving energy, vitality, and circulation. Last but not least, frozen Acai Puree. Acai is a strong source for heart healthy omega fatty acids, fiber, essential amino acids, minerals and phytosterols.
Ingredients (one 24-ounce serving):
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or water, or a 50/50 combination (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 large rounded scoop of all natural Whey protein or (1/4 cup hemp or brown rice protein powder)
- 1-2 Tbs. chia seeds (These are the Chia Seeds I recommend, I use black)
- 1/2 frozen acai smoothie packet (I bought this in the freezer section of Harris Teeter)
- 1 Tbs. honey or Liquid stevia to sweeten
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
Add the almond milk and/or water to the blender first, then the other ingredients. Blend until smooth.
For those of you who wondering, I use a Vitamix for all of my smoothies and mixing of ingredients in the kitchen!