I am excited to share one of my new “favorites” in Vegetarian dishes. This recipe was found in one of my favorite magazines, Whole Living. The June edition has a great spread called “Grill Talk” with delicious and healthy alternatives to beef. This truly is a fantastic tasting burger and is packed with nutrients, protein and fiber. I do hope you will give it a try!
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 whole-wheat buns, grilled ( I used Arnold’s Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins)
- Whole-grain mustard, for serving
- Grilled onions, for serving (*see tip below)
- In a bowl, mash beans into a thick paste and mix in shallot, carrot, quinoa, parsley, feta, salt, and egg whites.
- Form mixture into six patties and chill 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, directly on grill grates or on stove top, and cook patties until golden (add remaining tablespoon oil if cooking in batches), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve on buns with mustard, grilled onions, and romaine. (I served mine on Arnold’s Sandwich Thins)
*For grilled onions, drizzle slices with oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill over medium-high heat, turning, until tender and charred, 6 to 8 minutes.