In honor of Meatless Monday, I decided to try a new vegetarian dish this evening. Meatless Monday’s concept: One day a week, cut out meat! Going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. It can also help reduce your carbon footprint and save resources like fresh water and fossil fuel.
This broccoli quiche is quick, easy, kid friendly and quite flavorful. Enjoy,
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust (I used a frozen crust)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used 2%)
- 1.5 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup milk (fat free organic)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Over medium-low heat add olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onions, garlic and broccoli and roasted red pepper. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft. Spoon vegetables into crust and sprinkle with cheese.
- Combine eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese.
- Place pie crust on cookie sheet & bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until center has set. (My quiche took about 40 mins)
- Cool for 10-15 mins